Translate

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Still learning

I am a new Spanish teacher. This is my first time I have a blog and I don't know how to do it. I don't know what to say, seems that I don't have a interesting life, except for my Spanish classes where I have had many bad days and few good ones, until..........today when I realized my students have really learned Spanish and they showed it to me in different ways.    Getting the highest scores on the district wide assessment, being able to have a short conversation using vocabulary they learned in my class, etc.
I understand now the difference between acquisition and learning a language. It doesn't matter if I have a fluent Spanish, communicate this knowledge in an interesting way is something else. Teaching has been the most difficult challenge in my professional life. I worked many years for transnational corporations and I can tell you my students are the most demanding "clients" I have ever had. They want very good quality, innovation, excellent service and a very interesting lesson . All of this before they take the risk of paying attention on what you are saying.
This  situation happens every single class. Now almost at the end of the year I can say it has been worth it. Hopefully besides grammar, spelling, vocabulary, expressions, my students have now a better idea of how beautiful is Mexico, its culture and the Spanish Language I am proud of being Mexican.
http://monterisimos.blogspot.com/2013/05/what-challenge.html

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the rest of your first year of teaching! I'm not sure what level you teach, but it could be an interesting challenge to have them do one of these web applications in spanish.

    ReplyDelete